The Community Foundation offers Janirve SUN grants of up to $10,000 to assist human service nonprofit organizations experiencing an unforeseen crisis that diminishes their ability to provide critical services.
Deadlines and Dates
Applications are received and considered on a rolling basis until funds allocated to the annual SUN program have been fully expended.
To be eligible to apply, human service organizations must:
- primarily serve economically-disadvantaged people
- be financially sustainable
- be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- be located in one of these WNC counties: Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, McDowell, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Transylvania and Yancey
What We Do Not Fund
SUN grants generally do not support: budget deficits or debt retirement; losses of, or delays in, government funding; fundraising activities; sectarian religious purposes; partisan political purposes; individuals; or activities taking place or expenses incurred before grant decisions are made.
How to Apply
1. Access Community Foundation Staff Assistance
If you would like to discuss your proposal or have questions regarding eligibility, you are welcome to contact Virginia Dollar, Senior Program Officer, by email or at 828-367-9907.
2. Submit a Letter of Intent
Access the online application process to submit a Letter of Intent. For technical assistance with the online grant system, please contact Diane Crisp, Grants Manager, by email or at 828-367-9904. Applicants will be notified by email upon receipt of their Letter of Intent.
3. Review Process
Organizations will be contacted within 3 business days if they are invited to submit a full application in the online system. A funding decision will be made within 2 weeks.
An online end-of-grant report verifying use of grant funds and results will be required. Instructions will be included in the grant award letter. Additional reports or site visits may also be required.
For additional information, download Recent Grants.