Orton-Gillingham Study Receives Funding
Camp Spring Creek Outreach was awarded $2,500 to fund a study that will evaluate small-group Orton-Gillingham tutoring to a group of 18 kindergartners at Greenlee Primary School. Funds will support a tutor involved in a three-year longitudinal study providing
Orton-Gillingham tutoring from the 2018-2019 school year through the 2020-2021 school year. In its most recent strategic plan, Mitchell County Schools set a goal of 90 percent of third graders reading at grade level by grade 3. According to last year's Third Grade Read to Achieve End-of-Year results, only 49.7 percent of the county's third graders had achieved grade-level reading proficiency. Ongoing reading intervention will help the school system meet its goal and lead to long-term positive outcomes.
- Appalachian Therapeutic Riding Center - $1,000 for road improvements to allow safer access for school buses.
- Blue Ridge Partnership for Children - $3,050 to purchase supplies, food, and other materials for the organization's Child & BLOCK event.
- Camp Spring Creek Outreach - $2,500 to fund a study that will evaluate small-group Orton-Gillingham tutoring to a group of 18 kindergartners.
- Mayland Community College Foundation - $3,200 to support an emergency needs fund for its students.
- Mitchell County Animal Rescue - $1,000 for a spay and neuter program for kittens and cats.
- Mitchell County Department of Cooperative Extension - $2,500 for its summer youth program.
- Partners Aligned Toward Health - $1,500 for a summer tennis camp for youth.
- Pisgah Legal Services - $5,000 to provide free civil legal assistance to and advocacy for low-income residents.
- Special Olympics Mitchell County - $2,500 for an equestrian program at Appalachian Therapeutic Riding Center.
- WAMY Community Action - $2,750 to provide garden vouchers to low-income families.
See all grants since inception. Download Grant History.
Affiliate Advisory Boards provide The Community Foundation with crucial leadership and local expertise as we partner to raise funds for our region.